How to get rid of that Halloween Candy!

Halloween Candy: A cavity’s best friend!

photo 2

Halloween is over, but unfortunately so is the warmer weather of early fall. Now that the costumes, holiday and school parties are done, you are more than likely left with an excessive amount of sugary loot.

It can be difficult to convince your child to release the candy goodness and save their body and teeth, but here are a few suggestions that may help you win the battle.

Get your kids involved and make it fun. Try making a wreath out of candy or having a contest of who can build the best statue! To combine education and candy reduction, set up a science experiment in your kitchen.

There are a number of different experiments to try, but here are a few of my favorites.

The Acid Test:

Fruit-flavored candy is full of acid! Sour Patch Kids, Skittles, and Starbursts are a few of the culprits more than likely present in your child’s Halloween candy. With a little water and some baking soda you can test the candy to see if it has acid.

Add a ¼ cup of water to a measuring cup, add in your candy of choice and sprinkle baking soda on top. If the mixture bubbles the candy has acid in it.

photo 2

M&M Test:

M&M’s have a dissolvable candy shell. Make a tie-dye, rainbow project with a plate of warm water and M&M’s. Add the candy to the warm water and watch the color dissolve off the candy leaving behind a rainbow in the water.

photo 3photo 4photo 5photo 3photo 4

You can also try the sink or float test by adding various candy to small containers of water to see if they float to the top or sink to the bottom.

Some parents may choose a different tradition to reduce the amount of sugar intake this time of year. The Switch Witch will come at night and replace the pile of candy left on the table with a toy for the child. This is a fun tradition to start and it will help reduce the sugar craving that will follow an excessive amount of sugar consumption.

Look through these options and decide what is going to be the most successful for you and your family. It is a common misconception that by eating the candy slow and steady is better than all at once, but when it comes to the health of your child’s teeth, this is not the case.

Sugar + Acid + Time= Decay. The math is that simple. If your child consumes just a piece with lunch every day until the candy is gone, the sugar is going to be reintroduced to their teeth and increase the risk for decay. It is better, although it sounds absurd, to let your child eat more candy at once and then get rid of the rest. Although it’s more sugar and acid, it is only one frequency, thus reducing their risk of cavities.

 

Good luck and please share what methods worked best for you!